About this iReport
  • Approved for CNN

  • Click to view BryanDozier's profile
    Posted February 4, 2012 by
    This iReport is part of an assignment:
    Occupy Wall Street

    BryanDozier and 14 other iReporters contributed to Open Story: Occupy Wall Street protests
    More from BryanDozier

    Police Raid Occupy DC


    CNN PRODUCER NOTE     BryanDozier shot these photos early this morning of police action in Washington, D.C.'s McPherson Square, home of the Occupy D.C. encampment. 'For the most part, police were very respectful towards the protestors,' he said. 'Several opportunities were given for protestors to remove and collect items from the tent. The protestors arrested under the statue were also given three verbal warnings before their arrests. Most Occupiers were very respectful of the police and some even chanted "these cops need a raise!" However, a few did yell at them from across the barricades, calling them "pigs."'
    - jmsaba, CNN iReport producer

    On February 4, at around 5:30 AM, dozens of police on foot and on horseback moved in on Occupy protestors in McPherson Square in Washington, D.C. Their goal was to remove the tarp surrounding the statue in the middle of the park and to enforce regulations that prohibit camping or sleeping materials inside the tents. The sergeant on the scene made it clear that they were not being evicted. They were given a chance to remove camping materials from the tents and ready them for inspection, which most protestors did.

    The police first removed the tarp, known as the 'Tent of Dreams', surrounding the statue in the middle of the park, with the cooperation of protestors. They were told that if they let them take it down that they could keep it. Several protestors who were sitting atop the tarp came down after an hour or so. The tarp was then moved to an intersection where it was laid on the street and made available for viewing and for the protestors to collect.

    The tents and materials in the circle immediately surrounding the statue were the next to be removed. At one point, police brought in a 'cherry-picker' truck to remove the Guy Fawkes mask from the statue of General McPherson. Three protestors remained behind with their materials and, after being given three verbal warnings, were arrested about 2 1/2 hours into the event.

    Tents in the southeast corner of the park were the first to be searched. Police notified the protestors that they could have an observer watch the police as they searched their tents. The #OccupyKSt Twitter feed later that morning said that on several occasions no observers were present with the police.
    Add your Story Add your Story