- Posted February 9, 2012 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Europe's deadly cold blast
- Tropoje, Albania has $200 billion dollars in magnesium reserves
- Albania, Saudi Arabia, France, Turkey backs US strike against Syria
- U.S. military action in Syria is getting strong support
- Poll of 5 new Polls: Romney leads Obama in national and swing states polls
- CIA had developed a new very successful program ground to plane rescue in minutes
Europe is in panic death toll at 550 from weather disaster
Albania has recorded year- low temperatures that dropped to -30 Celsius in Tropoje and Kukes region with more than 12 feet of snow.
Problems with drinking water and electricity as residents there battled the deep cold.
In Kosovo, Serbia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Greece, Macedonia, Austria and elsewhere the weather spelled disaster, with the death toll edging past 550.
Europe is in panic.
The freezing weather is everywhere in Europe and may last until the end of the month according to meteorologists.
That’s not good news for the homeless, the elderly and those living in remote areas.
It also means a massive energy bill for consumers and governments alike as people try to keep warm.
The bitter cold and heavy snow falls have killed hundreds across Europe as temperatures have plummeted in some parts to nearly -40 degrees Celsius
Serbia’s wildlife is struggling but so too are 70,000 households which have been cut off by snow for days.
And the authorities have urged people to remove icicles from roofs after a woman in Belgrade was killed by falling ice.
The cause of the record breaking wintry weather is due to cold air from northern Russia flanking an area of high pressure which has prevented warmer weather from moving in across the Atlantic over Europe.