- Posted April 17, 2012 by
Muntinlupa City, Philippines
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Eye on the Philippines
- The Philippines held Automated Midterm Elections this Year 2013 -- Part 2
- The Philippines held Automated Midterm Elections this Year 2013 -- Part 1
- This Year's Automated Midterm Elections in the Philippines
- My Message To All The Girls And Women Who Are Aspiring And Striving To Get Education Right Now
- Education Would Give A Girl Or A Woman The Opportunity To Have A Stable Career And An Assurance Of Economic Well-Being In The Near Future
Philippines, My Country, My Home
I'm Rummel Pinera from the Philippines. My country is sometimes referred to as the 'Pearl of the Orient Seas'. I've personally witnessed how my countrymen struggled hard to regain democracy and freedom from 1983 to 1986. I have participated in the 1986 People Power Revolution that somehow influenced the pro-democracy movements in Taiwan, South Korea, the former Soviet Union, and Eastern Europe during the late 1980s. The 1986 People Power Revolution was a non-violent uprising that showed to the world the Filipinos' excellent spirituality and untiring love for freedom. I also took part in the peaceful rallies that led to the EDSA Revolution of 2001. The said revolution peacefully overthrew the administration of then Pres. Joseph Estrada. EDSA means Epifanio de los Santos Avenue. The EDSA Revolution of 2001 was also a peaceful uprising that somehow resembled a 'fiesta-like celebration' in the country.
The Philippines is lovely country. It's a nation rich with natural resources, wonderful sceneries, enticing foods, and magnificent spirituality. Since Philippine culture has been influenced by both East and West, the Filipinos in general have a global perspective or outlook. We Filipinos love to celebrate life, that's why we have so many fiestas or festivals all over the country. The beauty of Mother Nature is so apparent here that we Filipinos are always ready to defend the environment. We are a hospitable people because we believe that humans should live in harmony with nature and with each other. Because of our strong faith in God, we know that we can overcome any crisis that we may face as a nation.