- Posted April 28, 2012 by
San Francisco, California
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Impact Your World
National Cab Company in San Francisco needs to take steps to end Discrimination
• I lost my Friday Night Shifts
• The lead dispatcher told other drivers and management that I was gay.
• Comments of my sexuality were announced over the air waves while dispatchers were working
• One dispatcher sent me out to pick up one young man who requested a cab and would say to me “You’ll like this one” and “I know you swing that way.”
• I was just starting work one afternoon when a coworker called me a faggot and said “None of those faggots will vote for you.” The general manager, Jesus Portillo, was present during this incident, but he did not say or do anything in response to this harassment
• On August 25, 2010, I arrived at work and walked up to the window. About 20 other drivers were present at the time. A cab driver started yelling at me and called me a faggot. He spit on me. Jesus Portillo (General Manager) was behind the window and could see and hear this, but he did not do or say anything. I called the police and filed a police report regarding the verbal and physical harassment from the cab driver. When the police arrived, Jesus Portillo came out of the office. He was yelling and appeared to be angry and disturbed. I told him that “This has got to stop.” However, he got upset with me for calling the police.
Please join me by signing my petition and asking the SFMTA to place policies on permits for cab drivers and cab companies to stop discrimination in the work place. The link to the petition is: http://signon.org/sign/national-cab-company