- Posted May 1, 2012 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Photo essays: Your stories in pictures
- The Philippines held Automated Midterm Elections this Year 2013 -- Part 2
- The Philippines held Automated Midterm Elections this Year 2013 -- Part 1
- This Year's Automated Midterm Elections in the Philippines
- My Message To All The Girls And Women Who Are Aspiring And Striving To Get Education Right Now
- Education Would Give A Girl Or A Woman The Opportunity To Have A Stable Career And An Assurance Of Economic Well-Being In The Near Future
Labor Day 2012 In The Philippines
Today, Labor Day, workers' groups in the Philippines gathered together to press for wage hike, security of tenure, and a moratorium on the demolition of shanties where informal settlers reside. May 1 is celebrated all over the world as Labor Day wherein workers make long parades and do huge protest-actions. This year labor unions in the Philippines acted as one group to demand an end to contractualization and persuaded lawmakers to pass a bill that would guarantee security of tenure.
The various labor unions in the Philippines marched in the streets of Manila and showed full force. There were about ten to fifteen thousand workers who showed up in the streets of Manila to parade and march for their demands. The workers put up colorful banners and posters to make their protest-actions become somehow festive.