- Posted May 2, 2012 by
New York, New York
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Occupy Wall Street
- Thousands of pro-Palestine supporters march through streets of New York City
- Thousands attend New York pro-Israel rally
- Pro-Palestine protest in Times Square
- Family and friends mourn Eric Garner who died during NYPD chokehold incident
- Protesters call for peace after man dies while being detained by NYPD.
Occupy Wall Street May Day Protest New York.
- jmsaba, CNN iReport producer
The tensest moments in the march took place at the corner of Broadway and Wall Street. Upon arriving, marchers found Wall Street blocked by barricades and helmeted police sitting on horses.
It appeared that police were poised to begin making arrests at the end of Broadway. A heavy police presence wearing riot gear and holding plastic handcuffs waited for protesters before they could reach busy Water Street. The marchers avoided confrontation by heading east on Bridge Street, continuing on to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial amphitheater where thousands gathered and listened to speeches decrying economic disparity in the USA. Though police waited on surrounding streets with busses, police dogs and motor scooters, the protest continued to be peaceful as of midnight.