- Posted May 11, 2012 by
Makati City, Philippines, Philippines
This iReport is part of an assignment:
- The Philippines held Automated Midterm Elections this Year 2013 -- Part 2
- The Philippines held Automated Midterm Elections this Year 2013 -- Part 1
- This Year's Automated Midterm Elections in the Philippines
- My Message To All The Girls And Women Who Are Aspiring And Striving To Get Education Right Now
- Education Would Give A Girl Or A Woman The Opportunity To Have A Stable Career And An Assurance Of Economic Well-Being In The Near Future
Demonstration in front of China's Consulate in the Philippines due to the disputed Scarborough Shoal
Since April 8 China has been locked in a stand-off with the Philippines over the disputed Scarborough Shoal, with both sides maintaining ships in the area to assert sovereignty.
The shoal sits about 230 kilometres (140 miles) from the Philippines' main island of Luzon. The nearest major Chinese landmass is 1,200 kilometres northwest of the shoal, according to Filipino navy maps.
China warned this week it was ready for "any escalation" in the dispute, after an editorial in a newspaper run by the ruling Communist Party called for a small-scale war to end the stand-off.
The Philippines has said it remains committed to solving the dispute peacefully. Meanwhile, a coalition of Filipino activist groups held rallies at Chinese embassies around the world today May 11 to support the Philippine government amid an increasingly hostile row with China over a shoal in the South China Sea.
But it also said it had secured a pledge from its key military ally, the United States, that it would protect it from attacks in the South China Sea. Today’s rally in front of China’s Consulate in Makati City, Philippines tackled the issue.I went there to participate in the demonstration.