- Posted May 14, 2012 by
Brooklyn, New York
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Breaking news: Share your story
- London Exists in "The Dynamic Present"
- My Beloved Patriots Deflated the Balls and Will Lose the Superbowl
- Deflategate Will Boost Ratings and Ultimately Show that Integrity Determines a Winner
- The Un-Demonization of Cuba--Communists Aren't the Boogeyman---to Some, Not All-- Anymore.
- I Hate This Monkey Movie, and Here's Why You Should, Too
US Media Desperate to Grab Our Attention....Thus the Hyperbole
A hip, sexy mom breastfeeds her three year old on the cover of TIME while a Barack Obama, captioned, "America's First Gay President" holds the front page of NEWSWEEK. They aren't the first of the leading most controversial covers on American magazines--remember the naked John Lennon on ROLLING STONE, not to be confused with the naked Demi Moore on VANITY FAIR, or the naked Janet Jackson. The point is the print media in its death throes will do anything at any time to sell a few more books, and if that means sexualizing children, the big claim against the recent Time cover, or outright misrepresentation of fact, as the "Gay President Obama" they will do it, and we will look, and we will comment and we will buy these to satisfy something prurient within ourselves. But do get ready, because we're gonna be seeing everything sooner or later, because that's what it takes for us to subsidize a dying industry. Just sayin', it's something to think about. I'm W J O'Reilly.