- Posted May 31, 2012 by
- Mouloud Aounit, honorary MRAP chairman and friend of Ashraf residents, passed away
- Prominent Shiite clerics in Lebanon call on all Shiites to support Syrian revolution
- Catastrophic quake in NW Iran; mullahs covering up widespread proportions of casualties and destruction
- Iraqi government prevents burial of corpses of three residents of Ashraf and Liberty
- At least 14 of Iranian regime elements arrested in Syria are senior IRGC commanders
Iran: Syria Army Being Aided By Revolutionary Guards
Bashar Assad, Iran, Syria, Bashar Al Assad, Revolutionary Guards, Iran Syria, Iran Syria Army, Syria Crisis, Syria Uprising, World News
This frame grab made from an amateur video provided by Syrian activists on Monday, May 28, 2012, purports to show the massacre in Houla on May 25 that killed more than 100 people, many of them children. (AP Photo/Amateur Video via AP video)
According to a statement by the deputy head of Iran's elite Quds force, Ismail Gha'ani, Iran is aiding the Syrian army as Bashar Assad's regime carries out a brutal crackdown on the country's uprising.
The semi-official Iranian Students' News Agency (ISNA) reportedly quoted Gha'ani on Sunday, May 27, as claiming that Iran's presence in Syria prevented "big massacres."
"If the Islamic republic was not present in Syria, the massacre of people would have happened on a much larger scale," Gha'ani said, according to Al Arabiya.
The Guardian notes that the interview has since been removed from the ISNA website.
Iran is a close ally of Syria, and has been accused of supporting the Assad regime's crackdown on opposition protests.
Gha'ani's comments come in the wake of one of the worst massacres since the start of the uprising in Syria. On Friday, shortly after midday prayers, Syrian troops reportedly opened fire on protesters outside the town of Houla in Homs province, killingat least 108 people, including dozens of women and children.