- Posted June 26, 2012 by
- PARAGUAY AND DIPLOMATIC RELATIONS PEPLE REPUBLIC OF CHINA
- China and Mercosur agree to strengthen economic cooperation
- Cientos de paraguayos y brasileños cerraron el INTERNACIONAL MERCOSUR Puente de la Amistad
- Hundreds Paraguayans and Brazilians closed the INTERNATIONAL MERCOSUR Friendship Bridge
- Taiwan-Paraguay ties not affected by removal of Pres. Lugo
China is interested in an FTA with Mercosur
The Chinese premier, Wen Jiabao, proposed to initiate preliminary studies for a free trade agreement between his country and Mercosur, a South American subregional bloc of the Southern Cone.
Wen's announcement came as part of a meeting held in Buenos Aires with Argentina's President Cristina Fernandez, and attended by teleconference, the presidents of Uruguay, Jose Mujica, and Brazil, Dilma Rousseff.
Wen is on a tour of several countries in the region.
China is already a major trading partners of Mercosur, comprising Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay and Paraguay.
This latter, however, did not participate in the meeting.
Not issued an official reason for the absence of Paraguay, a country that was suspended for the next Mercosur summit for what was described as "democratic order" in that country.