- Posted July 16, 2012 by
wilkes barre, Pennsylvania
This iReport is part of an assignment:
- The Ends Justify the Means--Isn't That How We Live? Who Are We to Sit in Judgement?
- Lance Knows Exactly How All This Will Play Out, As Usual
- "Silly Rabbit, Lance Armstrong is Way Ahead of You On This....and Has No Intentions of Losing the Race....Ever" by W JO'Reilly
- "Silly Rabbits, Lance Armstrong Is Still Way Ahead of You" ---W J O'Reilly
- Do the Olympic Games Feed an Unhealthy Nationalism....Even Chauvanism?
"Citizen Journalism" Now a Major Force in News Gathering and Sharing
It's no news to IReport for CNN, but the Pew Center reports that citizen videos on the web comprise nearly a third of the most watched news reporting nowadays.
"What's most amazing is we're just at the threshold of citizen journalism and it will only escalate and improve from here on out," said W J O'Reilly whose citizen work for iReport and CNN has been seen on AC360, The Situation Room, CNN Money Summit and HLN.
"There's a new form of video journalism on this platform," said Amy Mitchell, deputy director of the Pew Research Center's Project for Excellence in Journalism. "It's a form in which the relationship between news organizations and citizens is more dynamic and more multiverse than we've seen in most other platforms before."
The Pew reports said that more than a third of the most-watched videos came from citizens. Than more half came from news organizations, but footage in those videos sometimes incorporated footage shot by YouTube users, the center reports. In recent memory, citizen shots of tsunamis, earthquakes, social unrest in the Middle East and even the crash of an Italian cruise ship were among the major reports filed by average folks with phone cam