- Posted July 30, 2012 by
Davao City, Philippines
179 Ateneo studes and staff downed by food poisoning
- Anika3, CNN iReport producer
By Ben O. Tesiorna
DAVAO CITY -- One hundred seventy nine people who attended a leadership seminar in Ateneo de Davao University (AdDU) nauseated and vomited few hours after taking their lunch Sunday.
The victims were readily rushed to the Davao Doctors Hospital, the San Pedro Hospital and the Davao Medical School Foundation.
Mayor Sara Duterte meanwhile said that based on the information she gathered, there were about 300 students who ate the lunch provided by an "in-house caterer".
"According to our EMTS, in-house caterer daw ng Ateneo. Refused to divulge yung OSA (Office of Students Affairs) ng AdDU," Mayor Duterte said in text message Sunday evening.
Vice Mayor Rodrigo Duterte meanwhile visited the victims in the hospitals.
The Atenews ADDU tweet claimed that there were a total of 350 student leaders who attended the Sui Generis Leadership gathering conducted at the Ateneo campus on Sunday with no less than Jesuit priest Joel Tabora, Ateneo de Davao president, attending.
Fr. Tabora was said to have been downed as well by food poisoning. There were no reported fatalities.
One of the victims identified as Ricky Zonio also tweeted that he started vomiting around three in the afternoon, about two hours after eating the food.
"Isa ako sa na food poison. Around 3pm nagsimulang nakaramdam ng pananakit ng sikmura. Kala ko nga ako lang nakaramdam, pero nung pumunta ako sa men's CR puno na ng suka yung dalawang sink tapos may di pa umabot sa toilet bowl," tweeted Zonio.
The caterer has been identified as MTC Rebosura Catering Services based in Skyline, Catalunan Grande this city. Pictures of the food served showed that it was a chicken adobo, pancit and some fruit salad.
Mayor Duterte said the City Health Office is already conducting an investigation on the incident and as of Monday afternoon, the city health team is already at the caterer's kitchen.
Food samples we already submitted to the laboratory for examination and the result would come out anytime soon.
The City Government of Davao has meanwhile suspended the business and sanitary permit of MTC Rebosura Catering Services pending the outcome of their investigation on the food poisoning incident.