222
VIEWS
0
COMMENTS
 
SHARES
About this iReport
  • Approved for CNN

  • Click to view Johnnstump's profile
    Posted August 21, 2012 by
    Johnnstump
    Assignment
    Assignment
    This iReport is part of an assignment:
    Dragon*Con costumes and more

    Cheap Costuming for Dragon*Con 2012

     

    CNN PRODUCER NOTE     A local Georgia resident, Johnnstump says he has been learning new costuming techniques for eight months in preparation for his Dragon*Con costume inspired by a table top game called Warhammer 40,000. "The hardest new technique I had to learn was working with resin. A lot has gone into this costume besides time and materials though," he says. "This costume has been a big learning experience for me and also has gotten me very excited to try out my new skills on some other costuming projects."
    - Anika3, CNN iReport producer

    Hello all,
    I am in the process of getting ready for Dragon*Con 2012 and thought I would share it with you. When I am not working on costuming I work as a private security. I decided this year that I would try to show everyone that you can make a costume out of cheap stuff and still have a great looking costume. I am doing a Plague Preacher of Nurgle from the table top game called Warhammer 40,000. We used a picture of a model that ForgeWorld produces as the base of the costume (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Chaos/CHAOS_RENEGADES/RENEGADE_APOSTATE_PREACHERS_OF_NURGLE.html). After we had the idea for the costume we decided that we would only buy things for the costume from Goodwill and the local dollar stores. Most of the preparations for the costume were done by taking normal items and using them for new uses. The current total cost for the costume is right now hovering around $50.00. I chose the costume because I have always loved the models based on followers of the plague God Nurgle and thought that it would be cool to see if we could make an awesome costume without having to spend a lot of money. Right now we (I and my wife) have been working on the costume for about 8 months total. We have spent probably spent 5 out of that 8 months looking for and getting all the items together for the costume. The last 3 months have been spent working on dirtying things up and repainting them. Most of the buttons and pins on the costume were made using clay. Some of the other items on the costume are made with cardboard and duct tape. This is going to be my very first totally handmade costume that I have ever done and I am looking forward to showing it off at the Dragon*Con costume contest and seeing what people have to say about it.
    Add your Story Add your Story