- Posted August 22, 2012 by
Manila City, Philippines
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Photo essays: Your stories in pictures
- Self-Flagellation in celebrations of the good Friday
- Educational System in Philippines Kill the 16 yrs old Student.
- KPSB Annual National Bonsai & Suiseki Open Competition & Exhibition 2013
- Multisectoral group protest outside the Malaysian Embassy in Philippines regarding the disputed in Sabah.
- Environmentalist condemned the new open pit mining permit
International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples
- sarahbrowngb, CNN iReport producer
Manila, Philippines - Indigenous people from various tribes and communities marched to Mendiola in commemoration of the International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples this August, the organization set the tone in the situation of the indigenous peoples in the country.
Indigenous people from various tribes and communities marched to Mendiola, denouncing the attacks against the life and rights of indigenous peoples under the Aquino administration. The march rally was led by indigenous peoples alliance Kalipunan ng mga Katutubong Mamamayan ng Pilipinas (KAMP) and KATRIBU Partylist. In commemoration off the International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples this August, the organization set the tone in the situation of the indigenous peoples in the country.
The group marched an effigy depicting Aquino as a driver of a tank cum bulldozer "symbolizing the scourges on indigenous peoples." According to the protesters, large-scale mining and counter-insurgency scheme Oplan Bayanihan are the worse instruments of human rights violation committed against indigenous people.
According to KAMP data 507 mining applications covering 1,027,348 hectares approved for mining nickel, copper, gold and other mineral. Roughly 60% of all these application are on ancestral territories affecting more than 30 trebes
by: Gregorio B. Dantes Jr.