- Posted September 6, 2012 by
Charlotte, North Carolina
Team iReport featured this story
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Sights and sounds of the DNC
Charlotte CNN iReport meet-up
While my visit to Charlotte started off with periodic rainstorms, muggy weather and a destroyed pair of shoes, the iReporters here have certainly brightened my day!
I met up with several local iReporters and a few iReporters who are in town for the Democratic National Convention for an iReport meet-up yesterday afternoon. Local iReporters Bernd Hess, Lena Hopkins-Jackson, Liz Kearley and Chris Taylor represented Charlotte, while veteran iReporter Egberto Willies and Democratic delegate Radwan Chowdhury towed the line for the visiting team.
What started as a photo walk turned into a mini-tutorial right on the street. CNN director of photography Mark Hill and on-air promotions producer Danya Levine came by to give a the iReporters some tips on photography and interviewing.
Here are some photography tips from Mark:
- No shaky photos! If your camera is too light, you need to stabilized the camera, even if it involves leaning on a sturdy surface, say a ledge or an iReport producer's shoulder.
- When you're composing your shots, find a subject to focus on. Try to avoid photos where there's no focal point.
- Don't be afraid to get up close to the subject!
- What people are seeing from your lens, people are considering that the truth. Don't take photos out of context. (Example: A photo of a dead squirrel paired with a caption about animal death at protests when there haven't been any violent protests in Charlotte.)
Here are some interviewing tips from Danya:
- Make the interviewee comfortable and have them casually introduce themselves on camera.
- When shooting the interview, move your hand off to the side of the camera so people have something to focus on and not look directly into the camera.
- Be careful not to shoot footage on private property! The streets and sidewalks are public property, so film there if it's safe.
We hope that you find these photography and interviewing tips helpful, so please spread the information to other iReporters who may be interested.
To iReporters berndhess, Lena71, lizzzk, flight62, EWillies1961 and rchowdhury, thanks for spending time with us and coming to the meet-up! We're always excited to do a meet-up when there's an iReport producer in your city, so here's to next time.
Photo credits: Mark Hill/CNN (image 1), Christina Zdanowicz/CNN (images 2,3)