- Posted September 17, 2012 by
Banning of ‘Innocence of Muslims’ in Phl sought
House Committee on Muslim Affairs Chairman and Sulu First District Rep. Tupay Loong also asked the MTRCB to block the distribution of CDs and DVDs containing the American-produced amateur film.
Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte had earlier said the government is unlikely to request Google to restrict the access of Filipinos to the controversial film on Google-owned video sharing site.
President Benigno Aquino III, however, clarified in a statement that the MTRCB has the sole jurisdiction on what to do with the movie if found offensive to the culture and belief of the Muslim people.
Muslim communities around the globe are conducting anti-US protests against the movie “Innocence of Muslim” shown on YouTube. The American-produced amateur film depicted prophet Muhammad as a womanizer.
A local television in its broadcast on Monday said the Muslims considered the movie blasphemous, sacrilegious and offensive to their culture and belief.
Some Filipino political analysts view the rocket attack against the embassy in Benghazi as one of the most violent acts triggered by the controversial film. U.S. Ambassador to Libya J. Christopher Stevens and three other embassy staff died in the attack.
Meanwhile, Loong urged the Filipino Muslims to stay calm as violence continues to rock the Arab world.
The Philippine National Police (PNP) has already heightened their security outside the US Embassy in Manila.