- Posted October 20, 2012 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Election 2012: Your stories
- YOUR FAMILIES FUTURE MAY LIE IN SENATOR TOOMEY'S HANDS
- FIVE OF SIX KEY SEQUESTER DECISION MAKERS WHO THREATEN TO DRASTICALLY IMPACT OUR FUTURE.
- HOW THE SUPERRICH ARE SCREWING THE REST OF US BY TURNING DECADES OF OUR LOSSES INTO THEIR GAINS.
- REP. PHIL GINGREY, M.D., R-GA. JUSTIFIES U.S. SENATE CANDIDATE, REP. TODD AKIN, R-MO. POSITION ON LEGITIMATE RAPE.
- BOEHNER & McCONNELL WILLING TO RISK COLLAPSE OF US & WORLD MARKETS & ECONOMIES.
ROSIE PEREZ TAKES AIM AT ROMNEY’S 47% SPEECH
ROMNEY WOOS HIS REPUBLICAN BASE
My dad, you probably know, was the governor of Michigan and was the head of a car company. But he was born in Mexico. Had he been born of Mexican parents, I’d have a better shot of winning this… And I say that jokingly (I also make great BIRTHER jokes). But it would be helpful to be Latino (because I love them all SO VERY MUCH).
ROSIE PEREZ TAKES AIM AT ROMNEY’S 47% SPEECH
BE SURE TO OPEN THIS LINK:
Actress Rosie Perez mocked Mitt Romney for suggesting he would have a better chance at winning the election if his father was "born of Mexican parents" in a video released on Monday.
"Actually Mitt, that is so true. All you have to do is look at the statistics and Mitt's point becomes crystal clear. Hispanics represent 17 percent of the population and account for less than two percent of all elected and appointed officials. The advantage is obvious," Perez says sarcastically.
The video, which is part satire and part serious critique of the GOP candidate's remarks, is the first in a series released by the American Bridge 21st Century in conjunction with the Jewish Council for Education and Research. The groups partnered to launch the website Actually.org, which will feature a series of videos starring and written by famous comedians and entertainers.
The series is designed to "give Americans a funny, accessible — and truthful — take on Mitt Romney’s most outrageous lies and most out-of-touch statements," according to press release sent out with the Web site's unveiling.
In the first video in the series, Perez jokingly reminds viewers of all the "Hispanic presidents" from "Jorge Washington to "Jorge Bush, uno y dos."
Oh my goodness, what if you were just a little bit gay, Mitt? Think of all the advantages that would provide. No, wait for it. What if you had a vagina? If you were a gay Latina this election would be in the bag for you.
"Unfortunately, for you Mitt, you were cursed with the hard-knock life growing up as the son of a wealthy governor and auto executive," says Perez, as she wipes away fake tears.
The Hollywood star takes a turn for the serious at the end of the video, blaming Romney's policies for his lack of Hispanic support.
"Being Latino wouldn't win you the election, but saying jokingly that you wish you were may actually lose it for you," she says.
Romney's remarks were taken from undercover video footage from a May 17 at a fundraiser hosted by Marc Leder, co-CEO of the private-equity firm Sun Capital Partners Inc., that was posted last month by liberal magazine Mother Jones.
"My dad, you probably know, was the governor of Michigan and was the head of a car company, but he was born in Mexico. And had he been born of Mexican parents I'd have a better shot at winning this, but he was [audience laughs] unfortunately born of Americans living in Mexico. They'd lived there for a number of years, and, uh, I mean I say that jokingly, but it'd be helpful if they'd been Latino," said Romney at the fundraiser, according to the transcript provided by Mother Jones.
The Romney campaign has released numerous Spanish-language television ads targeting Hispanic voters, including one last week that accuses President Obama of stifling the economy.
"Our economic recovery needs the success of the Hispanic community. But President Obama’s misguided policies are dragging down businesses. You deserve better. We must end unnecessary regulations and cut taxes. I’ll work to help you create jobs because when Hispanic businesses grow, America grows," says Romney in the ad with Spanish subtitles.
Despite Romney's attempt to win over Latino support, Obama has held a wide lead over Romney among Hispanic voters. Two polls released earlier this month by the nonpartisan pollster Latino Decisions found Obama with a strong advantage among Hispanics in two swing states. Obama was ahead 78 to 17 percent with Nevada's Hispanic voters, and in Florida Obama led by a 30-point margin, at 61 percent to 31.
PLEASE VOTE FOR PRESIDENT OBAMA TO:
• Protect the rights of all citizens to vote without harassment or intimidation, and to preserve the right of all citizens to vote without being disenfranchised or purged from the eligible voter lists.
• Prevent the Personhood Bill from becoming law. This would criminalize all abortions, and put women and her doctor in jail while the rapist goes free UNLESS IT WAS FORCIBLE RAPE AS OPPOSED TO LEGITIMATE RAPE!
• Preserve the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act that guarantees women equal pay for equal work.
• Enact the Dream Act which would create a pathway to citizenship for thousands of young students who were brought to the United States years ago as children.
• Restore World respect for our country. Kofi Annan, author of “Interventions-a-Life-in-War-and-Peace”, informed Rachel Maddow that the unnecessary Iraq war increased disrespect of the United States worldwide. He then stated that President Obama is helping to restore the lost respect.
• Save Obama Care from replacement with a voucher program.
• Save pre-existing conditions.
• Keep children on their parent’s health insurance plan until age 26.
• Maintain Pell grants for students.
• Close the increasing income gap by making the rich and super rich bear their fair share.
NOW, GET OUT AND VOTE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!