- Posted November 8, 2012 by
dominican repubic, Dominican Republic
This iReport is part of an assignment:
My End Point
my beautiful corrupted country
Welcome to our wonderful country, the Dominican Republic.
Before you step out of the hotel, there are a few things we need to warn you about:
• If you are walking down the street and see police officers, stay away, or better yet, run away from them. They have the liberty to shoot you down for no reason and will have to answer to no one for this. They won’t even open up a case file or go to any courts. You don’t know how to identify them? Don’t worry, it’s real easy. When you see 2 men dressed in gray holding automatic riffles with a really mean face, driving a motorcycle, that’s them. They usually drive around in packs.
• If you go to any local store and try to buy something, don’t get angry at the owner when you see high prices of cheap items. It’s not their fault. They have to charge this in order to pay the government’s ridiculous high tax payments.
• DO NOT, and we say this very seriously, DO NOT ENTER ANY GOVERNMENT AGENCY OR PUBLIC OFFICE. Just don’t. You’ll only get frustrated and angry.
• Please don’t rent cars and drive around. If you think rush hour is bad in your country, Dominican traffic is worst and all day long.
• If you’re thinking of walking somewhere, try to avoid this. You will only get robbed by drugged out citizens or police officers. And even if you give them everything you have, they will still try to kill you. And yes, you guessed it, the police will do nothing about this.
• If all of a sudden the electricity goes out, don’t worry, this happens everyday. Who needs electric power 24/7, right?
Stay in your all-inclusive hotels, enjoy the beaches, enjoy the weather, and keep thinking we are just dumb islanders who only drink coconut water, eat fruits and dance all day long. This, or any other misconception you may have will still be a lot better than our sad but true reality: We are an oppressed country with a corrupt government who doesn't care about anything else than filling their pockets with more and more money while the people die of hunger or by the hands of our law enforcement agencies. And the worst part is, the people here are so uneducated, unmotivated, empty, shallow and blind, there is nothing they can do about this.
Thank you and again, please enjoy your stay.