- Posted November 15, 2012 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
The Cornfield OOPs! File - November 15th - Defense Department Waste
Sometimes we all say or do things we wish we could take back or do over. But life, especially in these days of Twitter, smartphones, 24-hour news, the blog-o-sphere and social media, captures almost any and all flubs, slips of the tongue, missteps, hijinks and bad behavior.
Today's file, the first in almost a month, is not about an individual, but rather an entire department of the US government. We have all heard the stories of the excesses to be found in the Department of Defense budget. Such things as $10,000 toilets or $200 hammers are anecdotal. Now we have a report out from Senator Tom Coburn, long known as a watchdog on governmental excess. The Senator now provides us with a few tidbits that should spark the ire of every taxpayer about the misuse and stupidity of funding that sometimes goes on by government.
From the "You Paid What?" department we have today's entry into the OOPs! file on the waste of money by the DOD. Here are some of the more bizarre findings by Coburn as reported by the Washington Times:
• $300,000 spent by the Air Force Office of Scientific Research to fund Brown University's research into archaeopteryx, the 150-million-year-old early bird, in which the researchers determined the creature likely had black feathers.
• An Office of Naval Research research project that helped spawn Caffeine Zone 2, an iPhone application that tells people how to schedule their coffee breaks.
• $1.5 million to develop a special new roll-up beef jerky, which Mr. Coburn said was funded by taking money out of a weapons program.
• $100,000 for a 2011 workshop on interstellar space travel that included a session entitled "Did Jesus die for Klingons too?" The session probed how Christian theology would apply in the event of the discovery of aliens.
While we must maintain a strong defense, we do not need to be wasting taxpayer money on such frivilous items such as these. What do any of things have to do with keeping America strong and its people safe?
From the Cornfield, may the gaffes, the flubs, the misspeak and stupid actions roll on...otherwise I will have nothing to write about.