About this iReport
  • Approved for CNN

  • Click to view ErikBeck's profile
    Posted December 22, 2012 by
    Rochester, New York

    Five Rescued After Being Lost at Sea for Three Weeks


    CNN PRODUCER NOTE     ErikBeck and his wife were celebrating their wedding while on a cruise, which was sailing from Costa Rica to Jamaica, when their ship came across a small boat stranded at sea on December 17. 'We saw the boat, and when you see something like that it looks like just a boat lost at sea,' he said. The captain of the Princess Cruise-line made an announcement to the passengers of the ship that they were going to approach the small boat, and soon after discovered a group of men stranded inside the small boat.

    Standing at the edge of the ship, he captured photographs of the cruise-line’s chief security office making his way down to the small boat and helping the survivors onto the ship. 'The survivors on the boat said they were lost at sea for three weeks,' he said. The ship's cruise-line director continued to update the passengers of the rescue situation, and informed them that they called the Jamaican coast guard, and had received authorization to bring the passengers on board.

    He says as he photographed the rescue, he could hear the accents of the survivors and said that they sounded like they were Jamaican. 'We were also a day away from Jamaica,' he explained. He did not have a chance to speak to the survivors once they were brought onto the ship because they were sequestered on the cruise-line.
    - Jareen, CNN iReport producer

    I knew that my wedding cruise would be special, but I didnt know that it would be due to rescuing five jamaicans claiming to be lost at sea for three weeks.

    My wife and I were enjoying the carribean sun, hundreds of miles from land, when we noticed a large group of passengers pointing at something over the edge of the top deck. One of the passengers advised us that a small boat, appearing to be abandoned, was adrift in the middle of the ocean.

    Moments later the captain of the ship, Nicolo Bommarco, made an announcement that we were unable to make radio contact with a small boat and we are turning around to investigate further.

    As we made our second pass, we startled the passengers of the small boat who were fatigued and escaping the hot carribean sun under a large cloth. The survivors emerged and immediately began waving their hands screaming "Water! Water! Water!"

    Our ship tethered their boat, throwing a bag of danishes and running a hose for water.

    Our cruise director made an announcement that the survivors claimed to be lost at sea for three weeks after experiencing engine trouble on the way to a barbeque. They were able to survive for so long due to the whole goat and large amounts of water that they were bringing to the barbequeue.

    After speaking with the Jamaican coast guard, our ship was given permission to take on the survivors and hand them over to authorities upon our arrival in Jamaica.

    Please enjoy the photos I was able to take of these events as they unfolded!
    Add your Story Add your Story