About this iReport
  • Not verified by CNN

  • Click to view michaelbears's profile
    Posted January 5, 2013 by

    More from michaelbears

    Teen dead following poisoning

    A former New Zealander who lived in Taranaki has died in an Australian hospital after suffering methanol poisoning in Indonesia.

    Liam Davies, 19, was rushed to an Indonesian hospital on New Year's Day suffering from methanol poisoning after drinking at a bar on the island of Lombok, near Bali, on New Year's Eve.

    A decision was made to medivac Mr Davies home where he was on life support in a critical condition at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital in Perth.

    His family have warned people to be aware of the risks of consuming locally brewed drinks in Indonesia where you couldn't be certain of the quality.

    The teenager, who lived in Taranaki (New Zealand) until he was about six, is the son of Lhani (nee Prentice) and Tim Davies who moved to Perth 14 years ago.

    Mr Davies is the grandson of Waitara, New Zealand couple Terry and Robyn Prentice and Owen and Elizabeth Davies.

    A family spokeswoman said that although Mr Davies had a lot going for him in Perth, "Taranaki never left Liam's heart."

    "Even though in Perth he had everything, the best parents ever, two younger brothers, great friends he was always going to be the one to come back for good," she said.

    The death has devastated Australia and Indonesia and the New Plymouth District Council in New Zealand has said they are deeply saddened by the loss of a former little boy of Taranaki.
    Add your Story Add your Story