CNN PRODUCER NOTE Nigerian photographer ayandaabeke witnessed shocking scenes after a fire whipped through a poor neighborhood known as Oko-baba in Lagos, Nigeria. "The fire burnt down more than 50 shanties," he said. "Nobody was reported hurt or injured by the fire but lots of properties were reported lost." Fortunately, no-one appears to have been hurt by the blaze. Fires, particularly in poorer areas where many buildings are constructed from wood, are common in Nigeria's dry season from October to March.
- sarahbrowngb, CNN iReport producer
This is a photo story of the fire outbreak in Oko Baba, Lagos, Nigeria on 8th January, 2013. Mr. Adeyanju Ajose, an elder in the Saw-Mill community said "the fire started at about 5:30pm". He went further to say that the plank-houses affected were erected as a result of lack of proper housing scheme for the workers at the Saw-Mill.
As at now, nobody know how the fire started. Mr. John Jerry Apati said that lack of electricity was the reason why a lot of people in the community use generator and these generators use petrol which aided the spread of the fire outbreak and as well made it completely uncontrolled situation.
More than 50 families were rendered homeless by the fire outbreak. And majority of families living in this community are afraid that the Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Raji Fashola, might take over the affected piece of land for the state use since its at the shore of the State Waterways.
What do you think of this story?
Select one of the options below. Your feedback will help tell CNN producers what to do with this iReport. If you'd like, you can explain your choice in the comments below.
Be and editor! Choose an option below: