- Posted January 15, 2013 by
Muntinlupa City, Philippines
This iReport is part of an assignment:
- The Philippines held Automated Midterm Elections this Year 2013 -- Part 2
- The Philippines held Automated Midterm Elections this Year 2013 -- Part 1
- This Year's Automated Midterm Elections in the Philippines
- My Message To All The Girls And Women Who Are Aspiring And Striving To Get Education Right Now
- Education Would Give A Girl Or A Woman The Opportunity To Have A Stable Career And An Assurance Of Economic Well-Being In The Near Future
A Democracy Should Have an Anti-Cyber Crime Law that Won’t Curtail the Freedom of Expression
I believe that it is only proper for any democratic country to have an anti-cyber crime law. Many criminal elements are using the Internet to find victims or further their criminal activities. A democratic government should uphold the law and protect citizens from being victimized by criminal elements who use the Internet to find or lure would-be victims. However, a democratic government must uphold the human rights and civil liberties of the citizenry. Citizens in a democracy should be guaranteed that their freedom to express opinions and sentiments will not be curtailed by the government.
Freedom of expression leads a democratic society towards progress. Freedom of expression allows citizens in a democracy to be creative and productive. Curtailing freedom of expression in a democratic society is curtailing human progress in a democracy. An anti-cyber crime law in a democracy must guarantee that freedom of speech and the right to express one’s own creative ideas, opinions and sentiments would not be curtailed in any way. A democratic government must uphold, secure and defend all known human rights and civil liberties.