- Posted January 17, 2013 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Wildfires blazing near you
- sarahbrowngb, CNN iReport producer
A bushfire has started in Hillman in Rockingham after a stolen car was set alight after being dumped in the area.
Roads around the fire area are closed.
Firefighters and water bombers are tackling the blaze.
Bushfire WATCH AND ACT for eastern part of Hillman in the City of Rockingham
ALERT LEVEL: A bushfire WATCH AND ACT has been issued for people in an area bounded by Dixon Road, Day Road and Mandurah Road the eastern part of Hillman in the City of Rockingham.
There is a possible threat to lives and homes as a fire is approaching the area and conditions are changing. You need to leave or get ready to actively defend.
WHAT TO DO:
• Put your bushfire survival plan into action.
• If you are not prepared or you plan to leave, leave now if the way is clear.
• There is ember attack ahead of the fire, so close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
• If you are well prepared and plan to actively defend your home, make final preparations now.
• Do not rely on mains water pressure as it may be affected. If you have access to a water tank and plan to defend your home, start patrolling around your house with your hose and put out spot fires.
• If you are not at home, do not try to return as conditions in the area could be very dangerous.
RELOCATION ROUTES:If you live in the area and you want to evacuate leave towards the east or north.
A number of roads have been closed including:
• Dixon Road between Day Road and Mandurah Road.
• Day Road between Dixon Road and Mandurah Road.
For further details contact Main Roads WA on 138 138.
Motorists should avoid the area and be aware of fire and other emergency services personnel working on site. BUSHFIRE BEHAVIOUR: The fire was reported at 10.37am today. WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:Fire crews and aerial support are on the scene. AGENCY RESPONSIBLE:DFES is managing the fire. KEEP UP TO DATE:Visit www.dfes.wa.gov.au, call 1300 657 209 or listen to news bulletins.
The bushfire is moving slowly in a north easterly direction towards Dixon Road.
It is contained and not controlled.
Homes on the north side of Dixon Road may be threatened by fire and you need to keep up to date.
The fire was reported at 10.37am today.
The fire is approximately 12 hectares in size.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
Career firefighters from Hope Valley, Rockingham and Success Fire Rescue Service and volunteer firefighters from Baldivis, Kwinana South, Mandogalup Bushfire Brigades and Rockingham Volunteer Fire Rescue Service are on the scene.
Three helitacs and one air intelligence helicopter are on the scene assisting ground crews and protecting homes.
Firefighters are protecting houses on the north side of Dixon Road and the Rockingham Holiday Village.
The cause of the fire is suspicious.
People are asked to report any suspicious behaviour to Police Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
<ROCKINGHAM BUSHFIRE> Fire is now contained & controlled. Firebreaks being upgraded.
The fire was started by a group of teenagers that dumped a stolen car in bush then set it alight.
Police have arrested one of the boys who had set fire to the car while the other ran from the scene.