- Posted January 31, 2013 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Naturalized citizens: Your thoughts on immigration reform
Here is what WE did:
- Legally acquired visas and greencards until finally this year we became naturalized citizens.
- We learned fluent English
- We paid taxes
- My parents held professional jobs
- I finished my college degree and am continuing with graduate work.
- We bought a house, a dog, and enjoyed our off road car
We did NOT:
- Illegally stay in the US
- Expect others to speak our native language
- Evade taxes
- Live off of welfare
- Expect a handout and not better ourselves
Before people form opinions on immigration reform it is important to first distinguish between people who come to the US legally and contribute to society, and people who come illegally. Regardless of one's stance, people need to consider the difference between legal and illegal immigration, abusing the system and escaping persecution, asking for a handout and trying to provide for one's family. Not everything is black and white.