- Posted February 2, 2013 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Breaking news: Share your story
Strong 6.9 earthquake strikes Hokkaido
Japan - Hokkaido – A strong, but moderately deep, 6.9 earthquake struck southern Hokkaido at 23:17 local time. The earthquake has been felt throughout the region of southern Hokkaido including Sapporo.
Since the earthquake occurred on land, tsunami activity is not expected.
Damage Estimate: Due to the depth of the quake, very light to light damage is expected near the epicenter though reports of shaking have been reported throughout southern Hokkaido. Overall, the population in this region resides in structures that are resistant to earthquake shaking, though some vulnerable structures exist.
1. 2013-02-02 14:17:34 UTC
2. 2013-02-02 23:17:34 UTC+09:00 at epicenter
42.812°N 143.078°E depth=103.1km (64.0mi)
1. 15km (9mi) SW of Obihiro, Japan
2. 22km (14mi) SSW of Otofuke, Japan
3. 78km (48mi) NE of Shizunai, Japan
4. 82km (51mi) SE of Shimo-furano, Japan
5. 842km (523mi) NNE of Tokyo, Japan