- Posted February 10, 2013 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Northeast blizzard: Your stories
- Nantucket Island Under Attack From Pounding November Storm
- The six seasons of the Brant Point Lighthouse Nantucket Island
- STERLACE and DURANGO Bring Home the Gold for the United States at the ISU Adult Figure Skating International Competition in Obersdorf Germany
- Shay Sterlace and Yovanny Durango win 2014 US Adult Figure Skating Championship title by 20 points
- Adult Figure Skating National Championships- Adult Dance Competition
Nantucket Flooded & Frozen
- Jareen, CNN iReport producer
Parts of Nantucket are under water and without power due to the pounding weather that has resulted due to Nemo's arrival. While the power has ben restored to most of the island after multiple outages. The downtown flooding and a tree down at Rose Lane, caused by the heavy ice build up, and wind gusts of over 70 mph that has left many without power. Winds were gusting over 76 MPH and the bouys in outer harbor reported waves ranging from 22 to 12 feet. ( www.ackweahter.com) in the outer waters of Nantucket causing this rush of energy to cause massive harbor flooding.
Bricks, fencing, sandbags, and 007- The Sunken Ship Boat was washed ashore during high tide that heightened the flooding and quickly began to freeze as temperatures began to fall, at 3p.m. it was 24 degree temperatures. Flooding could be seen from The Great Harbor Yacht Club to Hulbert Avenue, Lower Beach all the way to the Galley on Jefferson Street, that was also under water. Most all businesses closed Saturday with the exception of the pharmacy's.
Now it is 15 degrees with winds at 21 MPH out of the NE with gust of up to 76 MPH at 11.45 p.m.
It will be interesting to see what high tide brings tomorrow...Nemo not only dumped snow and rain on the island, but the harbor crested causing a great deal of damage in town and beyond to the coast line..