- Posted February 12, 2013 by
St. Louis, Missouri
- National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Names New Leadership
- Think Green® When Picking Your Basketball Brackets
- The St. Louis Minority Business Council and St. Louis Regional Chamber Form Strategic Alliance to Grow Economic Development in the Region and Increase Minority Inclusion
- And the Winners are…
- KEEP THE GREEN SPIRIT THIS HOLIDAY SEASON WITH TIPS FROM WASTE MANAGEMENT
Valentine's Day is a Good Reminder to Love the Earth with Recycling and Reduction
“Valentine’s Day doesn’t produce as much waste as Christmas or even Easter, but when you consider what goes into a card or some flowers, it’s easy to understand that a few small changes make a big difference for the environment,” said Waste Management spokesperson, Lisa Disbrow. “You can be good to your loved ones and the environment on Valentine’s Day. It just takes a little forethought and creativity.”
GREEN GIFT IDEAS
• Valentine cards - Save trees in the name of love by sending an e-card. If the card is a must, make sure it’s printed on recycled paper or make one from scratch
• Flowers - Consider planting a tree for your loved one instead of giving flowers. If flowers are non-negotiable, look for organic flowers that were grown without pesticides or purchase your flowers from a grocer or retailer that composts its pre-consumer food waste, including floral items.
• Jewelry – Consider buying heirloom jewelry from a vintage dealer. If you want to buy new, choose a jeweler whose gems and precious metals are certified ecologically friendly.
• Home-cooked meals – Show your loved ones you care by cooking with fresh, local, organic ingredients.
• Photo gifts – Using recycled materials and your favorite photos, make a scrapbook, decorate a picture frame or create an electronic slideshow.
• Looking for something a little less traditional? Then websites, such as Green America and Green Living Tips, provide guides to eco-friendly food and clothing.
ABOUT WASTE MANAGEMENT
Waste Management, Inc., based in Houston, Texas, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste management services in North America. Through its subsidiaries, the company provides collection, transfer, recycling and resource recovery, and disposal services. It is also one of the largest residential recycler and a leading developer, operator and owner of waste-to-energy and landfill gas-to-energy facilities in the United States. The company’s customers include residential, commercial, industrial, and municipal customers throughout North America. To learn more information about Waste Management, visit www.wm.com.