- Posted February 15, 2013 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Your views of space and stars
- Autoridades haitianas dicen es legal construcción de muro por Haití en la frontera con República Dominicana
- Los dominicanos conmemoran hoy el 169 aniversario de la Independencia
- How fast did the meteorite enter the atmosphere exploding in Russia on February 15th?
- ¿A qué velocidad entró en la atmósfera el meteorito que explotó en Rusia el 15 de febrero?
- TENSIÓN :: Haitianos atacan a pedradas consulado dominicano en Juana Méndez
The meteor explosion over Russia that injured thousands
The meteor explosion over Russia that injured more than 500 people and damaged hundreds of buildings was not caused by an asteroid zooming close by the Earth today (Feb.15), a NASA scientist says.
NASA asteroid expert Don Yeomans, head of the agency's Near-Earth Object Program Office, told SPACE.com that the object which exploded over a thinly inhabited stretch of eastern Europe today was most likely an exploding fireball known as a bolide.
More than 500 people were injured, mostly by glass cuts when windows shattered during the blast, according to the Russian Emergency Ministry.