- Posted February 15, 2013 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Your views of space and stars
- BREAKING NEWS: Nepal earthquake, magnitude 7.3, strikes near Everest
- MAS MH179 Flight to Colombo has landed safely back at KLIA
- Himalayan 'drop after Nepal quake'
- RED ALERT TO PHILIPPINES: Tropical Storm Noul To Strengthen Into Typhoon, Possibly Threaten Philippines
- Tsunami warning after major earthquake off Papua New Guinea coast
RUSSIAN METEOR INJURES HUNDREDS
"The trajectory of the Russian meteorite was significantly different than the trajectory of the asteroid 2012 DA14, making it a completely unrelated object. Information is still being collected about the Russian meteorite and analysis is preliminary at this point. In videos of the meteor, it is seen to pass from left to right in front of the rising sun, which means it was traveling from north to south. Asteroid DA14's trajectory is in the opposite direction, from south to north."
Videos of the event may be found here and here. In many of the videos you can hear the sound of windows shattering as the meteor's loud shock wave reaches the ground. Onlookers cry out in Russian as alarms and sirens sound in the background.