- Posted February 26, 2013 by
Mount Joy, Pennsylvania
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Telecommuting: Your productivity tips
How I Work...
- PM91, CNN iReport producer
- Act like you are going to the office every day. Don't wear your pj's. Take a shower, get dressed, eat breakfast, read the newspaper. Have a routine and stick to it.
- Keep regular office hours. You need those boundaries. It's too easy to be at work when your work is at your home. Emergencies do come up that need to be dealt with. But you need those boundaries.
- Have a dedicated space that is not the kitchen table. It makes it much easier to walk away at the end of the day. And it is easier to shut the door and be at work when you are working.
- Take that lunch break and get away from your desk. Take a 10 minute coffee/tea break a few times day. Get up and stretch!
- Network, network, network. Use instant messaging tools to keep in close touch with colleagues and staff throughout the day. An instant message is no different than someone knocking on your office door.
- Keep your dog and kids quiet when you are on a conference call. The mute button can be a godsend.
- Stock your office/workspace with the things you need to be efficient and productive...an extra phone line, printer, fax, office supplies, etc.
- Take the opportunity to visit the office on occassion or when needed to every month or so goes a really long way.
I enjoy visiting the office but my home office is a haven where I get real work done most efficiently.