- Posted March 24, 2013 by
- Indonesia's Mt Sinabung erupts into life again
- John Kerry says spoke to Najib about Anwar, freedom of expression
- Anonymous Malaysia video warns of ‘historic’ internet warfare if Najib does not relinquish prime ministerial post immediately
- Ringgit weakens further to 3.92 against the US dollar
- Swiss to raise Anwar Ibrahim at UN Human Rights Council
Large earthquake strikes off coast of Russia
MARCH 24, 2013 - A 6.1 magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of far-eastern Russia early Sunday, the US Geological Survey reported.
The quake, which hit at 0418 GMT at a depth of 9.7 kilometres, was centred 269 kilometres from the eastern Russian city of Ozernovsky, on the southern tip of the Kamchatka peninsula.
The USGS said an underground formation there called the Kuril-Kamchatka arc is considered one of the most seismically active regions in the world.
Since 1900, seven powerful earthquakes of magnitude 8.3 or greater have occurred along the arc, the USGS said.