- Posted March 24, 2013 by
- Solar storm nearly destroyed Earth two years ago
- Scientists find hole in Earth's magnetic field on July 2014- Earth’s magnetic poles are shifting; north and south poles set to flip
- Watch Out Japan! Super Typhoon Neoguri is ENORMOUS – As Seen from ISS
- Ebola Virus Spreads Across West Africa - Five Dead In First Sierra Leone Ebola Outbreak As Guinea Announces 2 New Cases Of Ebola In Previously Unaffected Area!
- BREAKING NEWS: Very Strong earthquake magnitude 6.7 – East Of Martinique, Windward Is
Large earthquake strikes off coast of Russia
MARCH 24, 2013 - A 6.1 magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of far-eastern Russia early Sunday, the US Geological Survey reported.
The quake, which hit at 0418 GMT at a depth of 9.7 kilometres, was centred 269 kilometres from the eastern Russian city of Ozernovsky, on the southern tip of the Kamchatka peninsula.
The USGS said an underground formation there called the Kuril-Kamchatka arc is considered one of the most seismically active regions in the world.
Since 1900, seven powerful earthquakes of magnitude 8.3 or greater have occurred along the arc, the USGS said.