- Posted March 24, 2013 by
- BREAKING NEWS: Nepal earthquake, magnitude 7.3, strikes near Everest
- MAS MH179 Flight to Colombo has landed safely back at KLIA
- Himalayan 'drop after Nepal quake'
- RED ALERT TO PHILIPPINES: Tropical Storm Noul To Strengthen Into Typhoon, Possibly Threaten Philippines
- Tsunami warning after major earthquake off Papua New Guinea coast
Large earthquake strikes off coast of Russia
MARCH 24, 2013 - A 6.1 magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of far-eastern Russia early Sunday, the US Geological Survey reported.
The quake, which hit at 0418 GMT at a depth of 9.7 kilometres, was centred 269 kilometres from the eastern Russian city of Ozernovsky, on the southern tip of the Kamchatka peninsula.
The USGS said an underground formation there called the Kuril-Kamchatka arc is considered one of the most seismically active regions in the world.
Since 1900, seven powerful earthquakes of magnitude 8.3 or greater have occurred along the arc, the USGS said.