- Posted March 24, 2013 by
- Anwar Ibrahim to be transferred from prison to house arrest due to poor health: Lawyers
- BREAKING NEWS: Severe Solar Storm Strikes Earth, Spawning Low-Latitude Aurora and power problems possible
- US President Barack Obama warning to Malaysia: Be careful when prosecuting Anwar Ibrahim
- New Solar Storm Tool Could Give 24 Hours' Notice of Space Weather
- Malaysia Airlines flight MH148 makes emergency landing at Melbourne airport
Large earthquake strikes off coast of Russia
MARCH 24, 2013 - A 6.1 magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of far-eastern Russia early Sunday, the US Geological Survey reported.
The quake, which hit at 0418 GMT at a depth of 9.7 kilometres, was centred 269 kilometres from the eastern Russian city of Ozernovsky, on the southern tip of the Kamchatka peninsula.
The USGS said an underground formation there called the Kuril-Kamchatka arc is considered one of the most seismically active regions in the world.
Since 1900, seven powerful earthquakes of magnitude 8.3 or greater have occurred along the arc, the USGS said.