Share this on:
 E-mail
14
VIEWS
0
COMMENTS
 
SHARES
About this iReport
  • Not vetted for CNN

  • Click to view cawittig's profile
    Posted May 2, 2013 by
    cawittig
    Location
    Naperville, Illinois

    North Central College Faculty Raises Funds for Students

     
    Campus Campaign might not sound familiar to many students on campus but it supports a cause worth knowing. The North Central Campus Campaign is an event for teachers and staff to come and mingle and give back to the college. The event held on the second floor of Old Main calls faculty members to help the students of North Central College in various ways.
    The key focus is the NCC fund; a fund that goes directly to maintaining and improving campus facilities, as well as the students who need financial aid. “The biggest thing is scholarships because so many students require scholarships,” explained Maria Caselli, associate director of development.
    “More than 90% of the students that attend North Central receive some sort of financial aid, so it’s a very important fund,” said Andrea Ishikawa, campus development officer.
    Some employees donate specifically to the NCC fund. “I usually donate to the general fund so they can use it how they feel is best. I’m sure some people want to contribute to the new science center, but personally I’ll just donate to the general fund so they can decide,” said Dave Missurelli.
    Campus Campaign gives faculty and staff a chance to donate to specific areas, as well. "I always support the library, because I love books and I love libraries… I always love to support the library. This is a great event, the college gives employees a lot, and it’s just a way we can give back to the college,” said Laura Pohl.
    The collection of this money is important for the school as well as the students. Ishikawa explains, “what you pay in tuition covers about 70% of the year, the other 30% is covered by donations, so that’s why this is an important event and an important fund.” This goes to things like updated computers, new buildings, teaching equipment, sports and housing.
    Staff is encouraged to contribute because it gives the college more resources and lets NCC expand on its educational opportunities. According to Andrea Ishikawa, the program currently has 30% of staff involved. After the event she hopes the number increases to 50% and then 80% after next year. Ishikawa also says outside sources recognize faculty participation when deciding to donate as well. “Outside sources look at our participation rates for grants and foundation funding, so that’s another important talking point when we go out to look for that sort of support to give back to North Central College,” she said.
    Campus Campaign is a proactive approach to maintain and expand campus facilities and resources.

    Corinne Wittig
    Courtney Luther
    Allison Navadomskis
    Karl Jessen
    • TAGS:

    What do you think of this story?

    Select one of the options below. Your feedback will help tell CNN producers what to do with this iReport. If you'd like, you can explain your choice in the comments below.
    Be and editor! Choose an option below:
      Awesome! Put this on TV! Almost! Needs work. This submission violates iReport's community guidelines.

    Comments

    Log in to comment

    iReport welcomes a lively discussion, so comments on iReports are not pre-screened before they post. See the iReport community guidelines for details about content that is not welcome on iReport.

    Add your Story Add your Story