- Posted May 27, 2013 by
Athletes of the Soul
- dsashin, CNN iReport producer
Men and women athletes gathered to compete.
A year-long effort of training and dedication came down to this one moment.
Some athletes would be crowned champions.
Others would leave the track dejected and bewildered.
Hands were flung in the air with joy, and hugs on congratulations were repeated.
Some who fought hard fell to the ground, grimacing in pain.
Batons were passed, hurdles were jumped, and water was splashed.
In a continual counterclockwise motion, runners circled the track in hopes of victory.
As races ended, there was a silence in the crowd until the winner’s name appeared on the scoreboard.
Cheers and whistles erupted across the field.
On the track, a runner lay agonizing in pain, carried off to a fate unknown.
As the overcast skies began to dim behind the setting sun, the cheers and cries were swept away by the cool gentle breeze.
On this day, champions were crowned, and athletes pondered what could have been.
But the most memorable moments were the images of joy, hugs, and embraces.
On this day, all of the athletes were champions of the soul.
Images taken at the 2013 NCAA National Track and Field Championship DIII – La Crosse, WI
1) Kevin Curbelo, Whittier College, wins the Men’s 400 Meter.
2) Tyler Mettille, Mount Union College, wins the Men’s 400 Meter Hurdles, as another runner tumbles to the ground.
3) Tyler Mettille expresses the joy of winning his race.
4) Maya Vazquez, UW-La Crosse, anchors Women’s 4x100 Meter Relay championship team.
5) Jack Davies, Middlebury College, leads pack to 2nd place finish in Men’s 3000 Meter Steeplechase.
6) Athlete from Messiah College, goes down with an injury in the Women’s 400 Meter Hurdles.
7) Tasina McAllister, Warburg College, stretches before taking second in the Women’s 400 Meter Hurdles.
8) Women’s 4x100 Women’s team winners, UW-La Crosse, take the stage.
9) Panoramic image of the NCAA 2013 Outdoor Track and Field Championships.
Men’s Champion- University of Wisconsin-La Crosse
Women’s Team Champion- Wartburg College, Waverly, IA