- Posted June 15, 2013 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Protests across Turkey
- Pro-government groups carrying clubs and blades shouting allahu akbar pursuing demonstrators
- Ambulances used to scout protestors and police cleaning up evidence: an eyewitness report from Istanbul
- Police chase protesters into mall but retreat after being booed by shoppers
- Protests Continue as Turkish security forces confiscate gas masks, helmets and antacid solutions
- Reporting on Turkey Because I Have To
Corrosive Chemicals in Turkish Police Water Cannon
- hhanks, CNN iReport producer
Reports are coming in of the water cannons used to disperse demonstrators in Turkey are spraying a mixture that is causing corrosive effects on skin.
A doctor volunteering at a makeshift infirmary to care for wounded demonstrators stated: "It burns the skin and causes blistering, it even burned through my gloves".
After the intervention of police to clear Gezi park of protestors, massive demonstrations have erupted across the country. Police have currently blocked access to Taksim square. Demonstrators are gathering in main streets and central plazas across the country.
Edit: This has now been confirmed by the Istanbul Medical Chamber
- CNN International